Friday, February 11, 2011















New Things For An Old Friend





Not long ago I added a few additions to my modest battery of hard working handguns. The Colt .38 Super is among my favorite handguns. I enjoy this handgun and fire it to a distraction. Fortunately I have plenty of Starline brass and a good set of Redding Dies. My present Colt is the Series 80 stainless. This handgun has never failed to feed chamber fire or eject with a wide variety of handloads. Recently I have decided to carry it during the hunting season. I am hunting with my Model 8 Remington in .35 Remington, loaded with the Hornady 200 grain LeverRevolution load. That is a story for another time. The Super backs this gun up. The Super is loaded with a heavy handload using the Hornady 90 grain XTP at a sizzling 1600 fps. The pistol is a backup for use against feral dogs and coyote. I am confident in the aforementioned load for short range use and it is brilliantly accurate, with a 25 yard five shot group of 1.5 inches the norm. My particular Super is more accurate than most but that seems to be the story with late model Colt pistols. During the past few months I have carried the pistol extensively. Since there is a need for discreet carry under a pulled out shirt the inside the waistband holster is the best choice. I have used the US Gunleather inside the waistband holster with good results. This holster is sturdy enough to carry the full size Government Model .45 but on the other hand it is supple enough that the holster is comfortable during movement. The holster features two wings or extensions as I call them. The belt loops are mounted on these wings. The result is a comfortable holster that spreads the weight of the handgun out on a wider area. The holster does not tend to collapse when the handgun is drawn. Overall, the US Gunleather holster is a good addition to the concealed carry shooter’s gear. It is good kit worth your time and effort to examine.





Another addition I have made to the Colt is to add Adams and Adams stocks. These grip panels are surprisingly affordable but they come from a well known company with a fine reputation. These grip panels or of pewter, engraved, and handfilling. They are heavier than standard grips that makes the pistol set well in the hand. I like these grips very much. The combination of Adams and Adams grips and the Super cartridge makes for a very controllable handgun compared to anyone’s .45 automatic. As I further my experience with the Super I have fired a good quantity of the new Wilson Combat load. Bill Wilson knows what he is doing with combat loads and his main priority is reliability. These loads use the Hornady 124 grain XTP, a bullet of proven accuracy and with a good balance of penetration and expansion. I have fired a one and one half inch group with this loading at a long 25 yards. That is all we can ask.





A pistol I sometimes deploy during the hot summer months is the Kel Tec PF 9 9mm pistol. I am going to be frank concerning this pistol. I have had mixed results with Kel Tec handguns. My opinion is that they need a good break in period with full power ammunition. There is nothing wrong with a break in period, most 1911s need a break in. But all handguns do not. Carefully proof the Kel Tec of your choice with your personal loadings. My example is loaded with the Hornady Critical Defense 9mm. While I usually recommend +P loads in the 9mm this handgun is not the place. It is simply too light and +P loads are too much stress for this pistol. I have carried this handgun in a Meco pocket/IWB holster. This is a very friendly holster that is capable as a pocket holster but which features a strong steel spring clip for IWB use. Frankly this is among a few innovative new designs to come along in some time. I like the concept and the execution.





Going back to the US Gunleather Company holster. This holster comes from the same place my blessed significant other comes from, Kentucky. If you wish to support a maker who is crafting holsters the right way right here in the United States, this is the place. This holster does what it is supposed to do and does it right. I am enjoying carrying the .38 Super with Adams and Adams grips, but the heavier weight demands something more than a belt slide and Mexican carry is useless. The US Gunleather holster is good kit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home